Managing files and directories
AccountManager provides a browser-based tool that enables you to quickly and easily work with your Web site's files and directories on the Web server. The File Manager, available in AccountManager's Website Tools section, enables you to:
Create a directory
Rename files and directories
Copy or move files and directories
Set permissions for directories and files
Delete directories and files
To access this tool:
- In AccountManager, click Website Tools. The Website Tools main page appears.
- Select AccountManager File Manager. The main window displays. This window lists all of the files and directories in your home directory.
Creating a new directory
- On the main page, click New Directory. The following dialog box appears.
- In the Directory Name field, enter a name for the directory. Do not uses spaces or special characters such as &, % or #.
- In the Path field, enter the path to the location where you want to create the new directory or click the down arrow to select from a list of existing directories.
- Click Confirm. The new directory is created in the specified location.
Renaming a file or directory
If you rename a file or directory, be sure to update all links and URLs that reference the file or directory.
You should not rename pre-installed directories as this may result in errors or cause your site not to function properly.
- Locate the file or directory you want to rename and then click the Properties button. The Properties dialog box appears.
- In the Name field, enter the new name. Do not use spaces or special characters such as &, # and %.
- Click Save Changes. Be sure to update any URLs or links that reference this file/directory.
Copying and moving files and directories
If you move a file or directory, be sure to update all links and URLs that reference the file or directory.
You should not move pre-installed directories as this may result in errors or cause your site not to function properly.
- Click the check box to the left of the file or directory you want to move.
- Click the Copy or Move button. A dialog box similar to the following appears.
- Enter the path to the location to which you want to move or copy the selected directory or file. You can click the down arrow to select from a list of existing directories.
- Click Confirm.
Setting permissions for files and directories
Setting permissions for a file or directory enables you to control who is able to do what with the files and directories on your server. You can assign read, write and/or execute permissions to the following user types:
ASPNET_USER Applies if you are using ASP.NET. ANONYMOUS Applies to all users accessing your site's files. SECURE_ANONYMOUS Applies to files on the secure server.
You can use AccountManager's Password Protect Directory feature to password protect selected directories.
- Click Properties next to the directory or file for which you want to set permissions. A dialog box similar to the following appears. The current permissions for the selected file or directory are selected by default.
- Select the appropriate permissions for each applicable user type.
- For directories only. If you want to apply these permissions to all files and folders within this folder, select the Apply Permissions Recursively option.
- Click Save Changes.
Deleting a directory or file
To delete a directory or file, click the check box to the left of the file or directory and click Delete.